Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Eyes of Eilistraee: Banter, banter

Well the Christmas break gave me a good chance to put in a lot of work on Eyes of Eilistraee. After some exploring I found that the HOTU random and non-random banter triggers for conversations with party members didn't quite do everything I needed - so I wrote a new one. This has turned out to be a wise move since now I can quickly add in banter conversations between henchmen at appropriate points of the story, just by laying down a trigger and setting 3 variables on it.

Eyes of Eilistraee now has a new sort of prologue area that introduces the player to one of the main characters and helps to set up motivation for the main quest, as well as giving them a mini intro quest to get stuck into. Speaking of the main quest, I've added a number of elements that make the story a bit more of a personal journey of discovery. The player can now learn how to unlock and wield special abilities that are stored up inside strange rune-like scars on the palms of his hands.

With a lot of new stuff going in, the next job is to tidy it up and make sure the module is stable from start to finish - with the new content.

My hope is that the end is in sight - after almost 2 years of on and off development I really want to be getting close to something that can at least go out to beta and then released. Then I can start *playing* games again ;)

eR

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eilistraee is a story I've always liked. A group of friends had a guild based off of The Followers of Eilistraee, in an old MMORPG (Ultima Online)

I'll be watching the dev on this one :)

Michele aka Liso

Anonymous said...

Hello ER.

Interestingly I just ran accross your comments in Beri's Blog.

I think I have more or less retired from NWN1 and while I may be buying a box to play NWN2 and other things... I will hardly ever be active in the community anymore.

Its funny - I know you have plans to port to NWN2 but it seems an entire 'old guard' is somewhat missing in the new game. Maybe Osian is the way it will go... a few of the better authors will collaberate on projects from time to time and we will seem them as adventure packs - not community content?? I dunno.

However, having said that - this is 1 of 3 mods I considered must finish mods or unfinsihed business. Aielund and Ole FPs are the others I await.

I look forward to this project.

I think there is still some milage in NWN1 with the 169 patch coming out. There still seems to be a large PW community and I would not be surprised one of te mods wont pull a surprise out of the hat and garner 10000 downloads. Everyone in NWN1 and 2 will probably fire up and check out patch 169 at the very least.

Jfoxtail

eR said...

Thanks for the comments guys - your support is really appreciated!

eR