Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eyes of Eilistraee: Crypt battles

I've recently spent a lot of time implementing some custom battle scripts that I did a while ago. The battle is the first major boss fight in EOE and I wanted to add in a few special rules to make it more interesting. Though I'm still not 100% happy with it, it's pretty much done and functions as required. It was good to finally get this one out of the way as it's been waiting to get done for a while.

Yesterday I received more cool VO for Casmir. I still need to get reads from my other actors but hopefully next week I'll have a bunch of sound assets to add into the module.

Next on my “to do” list is an encounter with a band of ogres holding hostages. The player gets a number of choices as to how this plays out - the tricky part is balancing the choices so that an evil decision has both a negative impact, but also has a good reward - whereas a good decision results in giving up the reward and facing greater trials to save the day (it's not supposed to be easy being a hero!).

I've taken a few screenshots that I'll be releasing over the coming posts, so here's the first, showing an encoutner in the terrible tanar'ri fortress:




eR

3 comments:

Ree said...

That sounds very neat. I love the fact that there is truly more difficult to make it as a good character for once. So many examples of there being good with some flavor of evil rather than making rewards great enough on the evil side to make it somewhat a challenge to stay good. Personally I'm not too much into Alignments and find them rather silly, but as they're being used, they should be used to the fullest. Keeping an eye on this project, I've long past uninstall'ed NWN, however this may be a good reason to install it once more.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this mod seems really ambitious and I'm really looking forward to it! And I agree with ree above that most mods don't really present players with moral quandaries or really demonstrate the results of player actions (beyond "thanks!" and an exp boost), so bravo there as well. By the way, can I ask if you know yet what the starting level is going to be for the mod? I often like to build characters along several mods, and I'd love to pencil this one in. Anyhow, best of luck with this work!

eR said...

Thanks for the comments. I'm doing my best to provide players with meaningful choice and consequences - as I said the hardest thing is balancing out rewards and trying to avoid punishing the player for something they could not have forseen.

eR